There’s nothing quite like a great series to keep kids reading!
Last week Civica, Australia’s leading provider of library information, collection, management and library staffing solutions, partnering with the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), released their list of the books Australians across the country have been requesting and devouring from our libraries for the first quarter of 2016.
The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney remains as popular as ever, with books #4 and #6 high on the list. Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton are well-loved by kids across the country, with the first book in the bestselling ‘Treehouse’ series as well as two of their short stories, perfect for kids learning to read, placing on the list.
The rest of the list is all about Minecraft and Mice! Both the ‘Construction’ and ‘Redstone’ Minecraft handbooks have been hotly requested at libraries so far this year, as they help budding builders learn and improve their Minecraft creation skills.
The beloved mouse Geronimo Stilton appears on the list in various forms. His sister Thea Stilton’s adventure to Kenya is the second most borrowed book, the fourth book in the ‘Cavemice’ series also makes the list, and then there’s a ‘fabumouse’ retelling of classic story Treasure Island as well!
You can click on the covers below for more information. Click here to see the list of most borrowed Young Adult titles, and if you’re interested in what the grown-ups are borrowing, click here to learn more.
The most borrowed books for Children were:
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (Jeff Kinney)
- Thea Stilton and the Journey to the Lion’s Den (Geronimo Stilton)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever (Jeff Kinney)
- Minecraft: Construction Handbook
- The Cat, the Rat and the Baseball Bat (Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton)
- Minecraft: Redstone Handbook
- The 13-Storey Treehouse (Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton)
- Ed and Ted and Ted’s Dog Fred (Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton)
- Geronimo Stilton Cavemice: The Fast and the Frozen(Geronimo Stilton)
- Treasure Island (Geronimo Stilton)
What’s your child been borrowing (and renewing) so far this year? Let us know in the comments.