Readings has announced this year’s shortlist for the Readings Children’s Book Prize, and what a wonderful shortlist it is!
This Prize celebrates exciting new voices in Australian children’s literature. Readings recommends that this year’s six shortlisted titles are all for readers between the ages of 8 to 12.
The six shortlisted titles for 2018 are:
- Tarin of the Mammoths: The Exile by Jo Sandhu
- Nevermoor: The Trial of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
- Lintang and the Pirate Queen by Tamara Moss
- The Boy, the Bird and the Coffin Maker by Matilda Woods
- The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone by Jaclyn Moriarty
- Home Time by Campbell Whyte
Readings said of the shortlist:
“This year’s shortlist is exceptionally strong and brimming with adventure. It exempliﬁes the wonders of reading, introducing and transporting readers to unfamiliar places – from the high seas to the Stone Age, and deep into fantasy worlds ﬁlled with magic and mystery. Young readers will feel empowered by seeing characters that display fearlessness, curiosity and kindness in the face of danger and the unknown. Expect lots of humour and clever world-building – these are books that kids will adore.”
The judges have written comments for each title which you can read here.