Have you ever wondered if sometimes, when authors say they’ve made-up a character in a book they might only be telling part of the truth? Perhaps the character, just coincidentally, seems to be very like them? We think that’s the case for Adrian Beck, the author of the Derek Dool Supercool series.
Read the below then check out his book . . . we’ll let you be the judge.
Five things that Adrian Beck did that are a little bit ‘Derek Dool’.
- He invented a game called ‘eat the onion’. Then he ate the onion. (So surprising that this game didn’t take off).
- He wore fairy lights in his hair to the school disco. (That’s one way to get attention).
- He invented a sport called ‘no rules football’ and played it at school. Strangely, it was banned after one lunch time.
- He tried dyeing his hair blonde with lemons in the school toilets. Result: it did not work. On the plus side – the toilets smelled better than ever.
- He decided to take up rowing. But he fell in the river at the jetty BEFORE getting in the boat. Then he quit for good without ever having rowed.
Still not convinced? Find Derek Dool Supercool 1: Bust a Move, Derek Dool Supercool 2: Going Viral and Derek Dool Supercool 3: Run for Your Life at your local bookstore. At the very least you’ll enjoy the bad dad jokes like these two:
Q: What’s the best way to cope with a bad haircut?
A: Let it grow on you!
Q: How do you make a hanky dance?
A: Put a little boogie in it!
You can catch up with Adrian on our Facebook page where is is the regular host of our Facebook Live author and illustrator events. His humour and curiosity make for engaging viewing for kids and adults. Check out his interview style with best-selling authors Neil Gaiman, Jessica Townsend, Andy Griffiths, Terry Denton, Paul Jennings, Jeff Kinney and Josh Pyke. And for super funny fun watch the event with Adrian and Scott Edgar, the illustrator of the Derek Dool series. Just go to the video section of Better Reading Kids Facebook page and you’ll find hours of entertainment!